More Pages Coming Soon!

Sunday 6 April 2014

Glue Basting And A Leather Thimble

Check out these two awesome links!



This first link is a little tutorial I just discovered by Cristy at Sew Much Like Mom on a technique called glue basting.  Has anyone out there ever tried this? It sounds totally crazy to me but a few other quilt bloggers out there swear by it. What I gathered from this tute is that basically you squeeze a tiny line of Elmer's school glue onto your seam allowance, place fabric right sides together, and hot iron. No need for shifty pins. 

Is this really possible? I would worry about gumming up my machine needle but apparently if the glue is dry there is no problem. I'll have to try it and see.



The second beautiful treasure I found in the blog world is this Inuvialuit leather thimble from Inuvik that was blogged about by the quilting celebrity Cheryl Arkison at her blog Dining Room Empire. It is made from moose leather. She also blogged about her trip with some amazing photos of this absolute remote corner of the world. Inuvik is in the Northwest Territories of Canada, above the Yukon. I've always dreamed about travelling up north so it was really cool to read about this woman's adventures to teach quilting!

Part of my own experience with raising goats sometimes involves using them for meat, and when this happens I always try to salt and tan their hides. Making leather is another homesteading skill that I plan to show on my blog, once I collect enough photographs and finish making buckskin. It is a lengthy process and at times is downright stinky and gross, however it is a wonderful way to honor such a valuable part of an animal. Hides can be used for drum skins, bags, rugs, belts, traditional jackets and pants, and even thimbles, apparently! Goat leather is amazingly soft and strong and I am definitely going to try and make a little thimble.


Shhh... don't tell the goats.



While I am so so close to the end of my personal free motion quilt-a-thon, I still have to make the binding for this quilt. You can see the glow of my headlamp in this photo, taken long after nightfall while I was up late sewing. Of course I am beaming it at my favorite part - the little appliquéd star.




Also on my to-do list is to make a quilt for a dear member of our community who has just moved into her new house. I knew that there were several of us here on the island who would love to contribute to a quilt for her, and so... drum roll please... we are putting together a quilter's guild.

It is just beginning and I can't wait to see what comes of it!

So many budding ideas. Thank you for stopping by.
 Wishing you all a fabulous week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

You May Also Like: